The Royal Regiment Of Fusiliers Museum (Warwickshire)Call Us on 01926 491653
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Farewell Parade

The annual Fusilier Veterans' Parade was on Sunday 9th October in Warwick town centre. There was also a sad final goodbye to the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers when the Colours were laid up in St Mary's Church.

Many local people came to cheer and show their support for their local county infantry Regiment. There were lots of former Second Battalion members from all over the country who proudly attended the parade to remember their illuustrious history. The proceedings were presided over by the Colonel of the Regiment, and the Army's Chaplain General, the Reverend Dr David George Coulter CB QHC, and the Lord Lieutenant of Warwickshire, Timothy Cox.

The Second Battalion was disbanded in 2014 following the last round of cut backs to the British Army. On the creation of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers in 1968 the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers (formerly the Royal Warwickshire Regiment) became the Second Battalion. The Regiment has been linked to Warwickshire since the 18th century. In 1782 the Regiment moved from being known as the Sixth Foot to the 1st Warwickshire. Along with the change in name they also recruited in the county. They had first come into Warwickshire in 1778 when they were stationed at Warwick, Coventry,  Stratford upon Avon and Birmingham.

The First Fusiliers are currently based in Tidworth in Wiltshire. Lieutenant Colonel Jez Lamb, the Commanding Officer, said the Regiment is 'ready to meet the threats and challenges of the future whilst preserving the reputation and remembering the sacrifices made by the Second Fusiliers.'


News Archive